An odd debug message

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Oct 25 22:22:17 BST 2018

On Donnerstag, 25. Oktober 2018 11:24:40 CEST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 October 2018 09:35:44 BST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> > Of course it's probably complete overkill that daemon processes would
> > initialise a resource hog like QtWebEngine instead of using the much more
> > appropriate QtWebKit but I'm afraid the powers have decided they wish to
> > ignore that.
>
> No comment needed from me.  ;)

But from me, as (no longer actively programming) member of the KDE PIM team
and as moderator of this mailing list:
Please refrain from making uninformed allusions and claims. I perceive them as
unfriendly and detrimental for the motivation of the tiny group of still
active KDE PIM developers. Fact is that we were more or less forced to switch
because the Qt project deprecated Qt WebKit in Qt 5.5 [1] and removed it from
the official release packages in Qt 5.6 [2]. Since web engines are a mayor
attack target, we didn't really have much choice.

[1] https://wiki.qt.io/New_Features_in_Qt_5.5#Deprecated_Functionality
[2] https://wiki.qt.io/New_Features_in_Qt_5.6#Removed_Modules