Kmail "saves" drafts in trash

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Wed Mar 28 13:43:12 BST 2018

Am Mittwoch, 28. März 2018, 09:32:21 CEST schrieb Ianseeks:
> On Wednesday, 28 March 2018 01:10:38 BST Tim Folger wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using an up-to-date Debian testing with kontact version 5.6.3. I've
> > just noticed a weird little glitch. When I create a new message in kmail
> > and then select "Save as Draft" from the Message menu, the email is sent
> > to the trash folder instead of the drafts folder. Has anyone else
> > experienced this? Any clues about how to correct this? It happens every
> > time I try to save a message as a draft.
>
> I've had that happen after i've deleted the akonadi folders and allowed it
> to regenerate, it seems to forget the settings for a few of the default
> folders. But once reset to the correct ones, its fine.

Most likely this has nothing to do with forget but with a design problem:
kmail stores some configurations to folders simply identified by numbers
(afaik). As long as akonadi database and kmail matches, this is no problem,
but if you remove akonadi database the folders are renumbered differently so
kmail folder konfig no longer matches the akonadi folders. So sent and trash
folder may get mixed up.

In the early days of akonadi even expiration was configured this way - an I
had massive mail loss after deletion of akonadi database (expired simply the
wrong folder). I think this is fixed now (I hope - at least I no longer see
expiration in kmailrc file).

But still I think this is a design weakness which should be addressed and
fixed.

regards
Martin