Fixing things Akonadi doesn't with some SQL-fu

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Thu Mar 22 14:10:50 GMT 2018

On Thursday, 22 March 2018 14:59:43 CET René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Thursday March 22 2018 14:19:05 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
>
> My, we're staying on topic again, aren't we? :)

Heh, yeah :)

> >Not neccesarily. On mobile you usually only have a single mail account,
> >maybe
> I wasn't just talking about mobile, but your assumption isn't correct for me
> at least. I haven't configured all my accounts on my iPhone, but that's in
> part because most of my email accounts feed into my GMail acount. Of course
> the email stack ignores all those big GMail folders unless I go in there,
> and it doesn't download messages until I open them.

The only thing we are missing in Akonadi is the "sliding window" that allows
to fetch only first 100 or so message headers and then fetch another 100 when
requested. Minor adjustment to the expiration policy would be needed too to
make it able to completely delete messages older than X days.

> >(although I'm amazed that people
> >complain about Akonadi using couple hundred megs of memory, but are
> >completely OK with shitty Electron-based desktop apps using half a gig of
> >RAM each).
> Don't you see it? If you only get and send a few simple emails a day, why
> would you want to reserve hundreds of Mb to the email client that could be
> spent so much better on that desktop you play so much more with? ;)

I just quickly glanced into htop to see how much my Akonadi is eating right
now - I'm sure most people don't have 3 massive mail accounts, 5 calendar
accounts and everything compiled in full debug mode. For users with one gmail
account it's probably around a hundred or two hundred megs? Not saying we can
do better, but we are doing reasonably good IMO.

> >Our IPC is extremely fast these days,
>
> Even the one that involves DBus?

Nowadays we only use DBus for simple calls here and there. Notifications go
through the binary protocol.

> >Well, I'm not porting Akonadi away from DBus just because Mac cannot get it
> >right ;-)
>
> The Mac is not to blame here and let's also not talk about KDE devs who
> think they know how things _have_ to be done on Mac (and that DBus is
> off-limits). In a sense Qt never got it right with their DBus wrapper which
> wraps the FreeDesktop.org D-Bus rather than providing an interface that
> hooks into existing platform APIs to provide *a* desktop bus.

I see. Well, contributions are welcomed, I suppose :)

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683