Fixing things Akonadi doesn't with some SQL-fu

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Mar 22 13:57:31 GMT 2018

Daniel Vrátil - 22.03.18, 14:19:
> > long as other apps can access the same DBus session as the Kontact.app
> > >bundle
> >
> > That's probably the main hurdle. All-encompassing, standalone means
> > everyone includes and runs their DBus, so this approach will only allow
> > independent applications (or application suites) that cannot talk among
> > each other via DBUS.
> >
> > So yeah, it's possible, but at the very least it'd need an independent
> > DBus
> > install if that's the only interface through which interaction with other
> > applications takes place. FWIW, the current KDEPIM4 implementation in
> > MacPorts uses a standard Unix way of installing stuff using a minimal app
> > bundle for the front-ends and everything else installed in traditional
> > fashion under a $prefix where all dependencies are also installed. That's
> > also how I'd implement the KDEPIM5 ports.
> >
> > >interaction, then it's hardly something you can blame Kontact or Akonadi
> > >architecture for.
> >
> > I'm not sure "blame" is the appropriate term, whom else could I "blame"
> > for
> > the fact that Kontact/Akonadi chose to use DBus instead of something
> > else?;)
>
> Well, I'm not porting Akonadi away from DBus just because Mac cannot get it
> right

I am happy about that. :)

I think it is more important to improve Akonadi + KDEPIM for the existing user
base, than to port it to whatever platform :)

First make it rock big time, and then probably other developers are willing to
invest the work to port the awesomeness to other platforms.

Also AFAIR haven´t there been attempts to use KDEPIM + Akonadi + Sqlite
backend on Plasma Mobile?

Thanks,
--
Martin