kde-pim dev needed, for a sponsored open source effort, to remove akonadi

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Sat Mar 17 16:41:34 GMT 2018

Hi,

Martin already voiced most of what I wanted to say, but I just want to point
out, that you can't just remove Akonadi. You need to replace it with something
else that will do the work that Akonadi is doing now. You can drive a car when
you removed the engine from it :) From the experience I can say that designing
and implementing a PIM storage solution is easily worth many hundreds of man-
days, not mentioning additional time to actually port Kontact to the new
system and polish it. It's your money and I can't tell you what to do with it,
but maybe consider supporting development of existing projects like Trojita or
Kube, which may just be a missing a few features to make you a happy user.

Finally, I'm really sorry that your experience with KDE PIM is bad. We are not
intentionally neglecting it. We all love the project and working on it and we
do want to see every single one of our users happy and satisfied. But time and
resources are limited and many issues that users have we just can't reproduce,
so fixing them is very hard.

Cheers,
Daniel

PS: don't take those log messages too seriously. They often lack a context
because it is known to developers and may not even mean a serious failure.

PPS: The problem with the Kolab Configuration folder looks like misconfiguration
on your Kolab Server, or maybe a missing support for some specific configuration
in the Kolab Resource. I do have access to some Kolab servers, I'll see if I
can reproduce that and fix it in the Resource.

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683