Quick question for interest's sake

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Mar 8 18:00:27 GMT 2018

On Donnerstag, 8. März 2018 12:56:56 CET Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 19:42:27 GMT Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > If the "Standard Mailing List" aggregration is enabled, then KMail threads
> > (in this order of preference) by:
> > 1.) In-Reply-To
> > 2.) References
> > 3.) Subject
> >
> > ... I don't understand why KMail doesn't thread by subject instead.
>
> It's more logical, for one thing: if a message is a reply to another one, it
> should appear just after it. The thread is linked by all three fields, but
> the Subject header can be changed at whim by a user or his MUA. That would
> destroy the thread.
>
> Maybe I've taken you out of context...

I think you have. I blame the dreaded language barrier.

I was wondering why KMail doesn't thread by subject as last resort since, in
case of the Phabricator emails, no suitable link could be established by the
first two criteria.

I fully agree that threading by subject alone should only happen as last
resort. And even then it's questionable. For example, a lot of automated
emails (e.g. by monitoring systems or build systems) have the same subject for
unrelated emails.