Quick question for interest's sake

Ianseeks bingmybong at btinternet.com
Thu Mar 8 09:12:31 GMT 2018

On Wednesday, 7 March 2018 19:42:27 GMT Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 7. März 2018 14:17:27 CET Erik Quaeghebeur wrote:
> > On woensdag 7 maart 2018 13:23:53 CET, Ian Seeks wrote:
> > > Why do none of the emails in this list from
> > > <noreply at phabricator.kde.org> with the same subject ever form a
> > > thread?
>
> Ian, did you probably confused this list (kdepim-users) with the kde-pim list?

I watch both and filter them into the same folder, again its just for general interest. It also happens on the kde-connect list.

> > I haven't seen any phabricator mails on this list, but my guess would be
> > that phabricator does not (correctly?) set the In-Reply-To and References
> > headers used for threading.
> >
> > I do not know which threading algorithm KMail uses, but a well-known one is
> > Jamie Zawinski's <https://www.jwz.org/doc/threading.html>.
>
> I haven't check what Jamie Zawinski writes.
>
> If the "Standard Mailing List" aggregration is enabled, then KMail threads (in
> this order of preference) by:
> 1.) In-Reply-To
> 2.) References
> 3.) Subject
>
> A message that is threaded by Subject is put under the message that is closest
> in date.
I use "Current Activity, Threaded" as default for all folders.  I've tried changing it to "Standard Mailing List" but it didn't affect them.

> > By having a look at the phabricator mails' headers, you can probably see
> > what is going on and, if something can be corrected or improved, file a bug
> > report
> > <https://secure.phabricator.com/book/phabcontrib/article/bug_reports/>.
Thanks for the link.  As the people using it day in and day out don't seem to have a problem, maybe its just my set up.

> Here are some headers of such a message:
>
> =====
> req at phabricator.kde.org>
> =====
>
> All Message-Id headers seem to have the same pattern. All messages belonging
> to the same Phabricator issue (e.g. a review request) seem to have identical
> References and In-Reply-To headers. Obviously, their format is completely
> different from the Message-Id headers.
>
> So, it's not surprising that KMail is not able to thread the messages by In-
> Reply-To or References. I don't understand why KMail doesn't thread by subject
> instead.
I had assumed kmail tried all of them.

> Regards,
> Ingo
THanks for the explanations.

regards

Ian

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20180305
Qt: 5.10.0 KDE Frameworks: 5.43.0 - KDE Plasma:  5.12.2 - kwin 5.12.2