akonadictl fsck: What messages indicate real issues and what to do about them?

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Mon Jan 29 20:00:28 GMT 2018

On Monday, 29 January 2018 18:14:08 CET Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Hello Dan, hi everyone.

Hi Martin,

> It has been a while, but I never forgot your detailed answer that shed light
> on the issues akonadictl fsck displays, but still did not offer me much in
> terms on what I can reasonably do in order to fix them.

Yeah. Simply put: there's a lot of debug output that is useful to me as a
developer to see "ah, there's a problem" but very little to help a user in
distress - the tool was initially designed to give no feedback to users and
simply run and do its job.

I wiill comment directly on the bugs you listed below to have the relevant
discussion in single place.

> Bug 389606 - akonadictl fsck: do not show missing RID warning for search and
> invitation folders

<snip>

> Bug 360834 - no mechanism to reattempt to store items without rid (just in
> db) into the resource

<snip>

> Bug 389607 - akonadictl fsck: Show more helpful messages
>

> Okay, it seems that is about all that I as mostly a user and tester of
> KDEPIM can do about the issue without learning to code Akonadi fixes
> myself. (I still not fully understand the architecture and the source file
> layout.)

Feel free to ask, I'll be happy to clarify everything, if it makes it easier
for you to debug some issues.

> Of course I could ditch the database once again, for example by switching to
> PostgreSQL database (from MariaDB), but I bet the underlying issues are not
> yet all fixes, to after some time akonadictl fsck may just display similar
> errors.

I don't believe the database backend has anything to do with any of the issues
mentioned above.

> Thanks,

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683