kmail sigh

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Mon Jan 29 17:30:16 GMT 2018

Dear Pablo.

Pablo Sanchez - 29.01.18, 17:17:
> [ Comments below, in-line ]
>
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 17:12:41 +0100, Sandro Knauß wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >> If in fact mysql is slower compared to pg, we should be able to
> >> instrument and literally see why that's the case.
> >>
> >> On my TODO is to set up a kmail development sandbox and work on the DB
> >> side of things .... but this has a lot of pre-work.  While I'm a
> >> database weenie, it's been eons since I've done any C/C++.  Because of
> >> this, I've been slacking and doing other hacking.  ;)
> >
> > we already provide such an sandbox [0] - it is a Docker image with a
> > complete working kmail (master). Where you could play with very easily.
> > I use this docker setup to develop for kdepim. Until now I just use the
> > mysql backend, so some deps may be missing for running a postgres
> > backend.
> >
> > If you have any question regaring the current docker solution - do not
> > hesitate to ask.
>
> Well, well, well!  Isn't that great news!  Now, if there was only a
> docker image to awaken my old C/C++ brain-bits.  :)

Well, I think your database skills already would be helpful on its own!

If you can point out possible bottlenecks database-wise, and look whether
Akonadi appears to work in an inefficient way with the database on certain
operations, I think that already helps a huge lot to add facts to the
discussion or to enrich existing bug reports or open new ones that are
actually actionable.

So I like to encourage you not to wait till you decide to refresh your C / C++
brain-bits in order to do at least some database usage instrumentation. There
are some C/C++/Qt coders working on KDEPIM, so if you can give them detailed
input, they may be able to do something about issues you find.

I think this is called team work. You do not have to do it all on your own.
You don´t need to be a coder to contribute to the project.

Thank you,
--
Martin