kmail sigh

Ianseeks bingmybong at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 29 14:10:02 GMT 2018

On Monday, 29 January 2018 11:45:59 GMT Sandro Knauß wrote:
> Hey,
>
> > Try converting kmail to use postgresql, its a lot faster.  It doesn't
> > eliminate akonadi issues like duplicates but i seem to get a hell of lot
> > less of them and the "retrieving folders..." issue seems to have
> > disappeared.  If you have to do the "akonadictl fsck/vacuum", you'll find
> > that is so fast compared to running it using mysql
>
> I do not believe that the switch by itself makes things a lot faster ( So you
> have sum up the time the database processes are consuming resources?), but
> with a switch to postgres you get rid of all broken elements in the database
> (reported by akonadictl fsck) and so Akonadi can now sync properly afterwards
> and do not run every time into the slow error correction paths. That may be
> the main reason, why it is that damn more faster than before. And from a
> political point of view I can support the switch to postgres too :D

The akonadictl fsck/vacuum is certainly faster, its not just a feeling.  I've got a few logins on this machine and so far i've only converted one to postgresl and the mysql ones are still very slow during these operations.  Sometimes with the mysql ones, i can go away and make a cup of tea waiting for them to finish.

> So it may be not real the reason why it get faster, but in the end it doesn't
> matter what make kmail faster :)
kmail does seem a little faster but not so much that its a massive difference except if you get a "retrieving folders..." delay, you can wait ages for the mysql to respond and return to a functioning kmail but so far when i've had this message (only a couple of times since converting) with postgresl, it comes back in just a few seconds.

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20180127
Qt: 5.10.0 KDE Frameworks: 5.42.0 - KDE Plasma:  5.11.95 - kwin 5.11.95