kmail sigh

Ianseeks bingmybong at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 29 10:11:09 GMT 2018

On Sunday, 28 January 2018 21:13:15 GMT Anders Lund wrote:
> søndag den 28. januar 2018 21.21.24 CET skrev tic:
> > Am Sonntag, 28. Januar 2018, 20:52:42 CET schrieb Anders Lund:
> > > Back in kmail, after switching internet provider to something that should
> > > be supported.
> > >
> > > It worked fine for a week or two, but today, things started to feel ugly.
> > > New mails does not show up, pressing the "check mail" button is, as it was
> > > since the unfortunate akonadi showed up, unbearably slow. As is just
> > > fetching a mail. Kmail/akonadi appears to do lots of other stuff, instead
> > > of fetching the mail I want to view.
> > >
> > > Damned, because there is really no nice alternatives.
> > >
> > > When can we have akonadi-free kmail?
> >
> > I often read comments like that and wonder why I have never really
> > experienced all those troubles that so many users seem to have. I've been
> > using kmail since the late 90s and it did not work as expected from time to
> > time but it was acceptable and the problems resolved themselves somehow
> > over time. Sometimes new setup of the whole distribution changed things for
> > the better (or worse) sometimes updates.
> > But I just used kmail with akonadi all along with imap setups and cannot
> > confirm those major problems like yours Anders.
> >
> > I don't want to belittle your experience Anders but I felt the developers'd
> > like to see a positive comment once in a while.
> >
> > best
> > Manfred
>
> I have 3 accounts, the mandatory "Local folders" that is unused, my main
> account (IMAP) which has quite a lot og mail (15000 or so), and a very low
> traffic second IMAP account.
>
> When clicking the "check new mail" button, kmail seems to be very busy with
> tons of small actions, the main folder taking considerable time. Like it runs
> through all the mail allready there? Or downloading the entire folder and
> comparing? I don't know, but it is slow (like 30 secs in all).
>
> Clicking a mail often leads to a pause, filled by the kmail/akonadi BSOD,
> before the mail is finally fetched. Like all softs of other stuff needs to be
> done first?! In any web client, mail shows immediately when the header in the
> list is clicked.
>
> This is not new, for me the new thing is that I can actually read my mail at
> all using kmail. Still, I do not understand why it has to be so slow.
>
> I have used kmail since KDE 1.12, more or less, albeit since the akonadi
> disaster, I had two long pauses (using thunderbird in the first and claws mail
> in  the second, recent one). I love kmail, but it is hard in recent years.
>
> During setup a few weeks ago, I experienced that popups blocked me from filling
> in my information, and while the "identity" concept is smart in many ways, as
> an owner of more mail accounts, one needs to KNOW that kmails defaults are
> broken, it does not automatically use the correct delivery account, and
> creating the second account, it makes that identity the default without
> asking. Etc.

> [...]
Try converting kmail to use postgresql, its a lot faster.  It doesn't eliminate akonadi issues like duplicates but i seem to get a hell of lot less of them and the "retrieving folders..." issue seems to have disappeared.  If you have to do the "akonadictl fsck/vacuum", you'll find that is so fast compared to running it using mysql

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20180126
Qt: 5.10.0 KDE Frameworks: 5.42.0 - KDE Plasma:  5.11.95 - kwin 5.11.95