kmail sigh

Ianseeks bingmybong at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 2 10:05:48 GMT 2018

On Thursday, 1 February 2018 23:20:36 GMT Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> On Monday, January 29, 2018 10:11:09 AM AKST Ianseeks wrote:
> > Try converting kmail to use postgresql, its a lot faster.  It doesn't
> > eliminate akonadi issues like duplicates but i seem to get a hell of lot
> > less of them and the "retrieving folders..." issue seems to have
> > disappeared.  If you have to do the "akonadictl fsck/vacuum", you'll find
> > that is so fast compared to running it using mysql
>
> I would like to try that, but am afraid of all the information I'd lose, since
> there is not export/import facility for Akonadi. Do you lose all your read/
> unread/important statuses? Or are those stored in the maildir file? What else
> do you lose?
To be honest, i can't fully remember but i don't think i lost the "read/unread" status  (i don't use the other statuses).
I'm still investigating it so i'm using it on an unimportant login (i.e. mailing lists) so it didn't matter to me if it did.  But in the past when using the migration failure procedure on the mysql version, i did lose "read/unread" status but i think that got fixed.
I did try the conversion on a login where i use kontact rather than just kmail and I didn;t get my calendar or contacts transferred but maybe there is something else i have to do for that.  I did rename db_data and db_misc in the akonadi before i converted to postgres (maybe I should have renamed on level up i,e, akonadi folder - i'll try that next) - once i finished trying postgres with kontact I then renamed those two files back and updated the config file, the mysql data was back in place with no lost statuses.
If you really want to try it make sure you back up.

opensuse:tumbleweed:20180130
Qt: 5.10.0 KDE Frameworks: 5.42.0 - KDE Plasma:  5.11.95 - kwin 5.11.95
kmail2 5.7.1 - akonadiserver 5.7.1 - Kernel:  4.14.15-1-default  - xf86-video-nouveau:  1.0.15