kmail sigh

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 05:02:38 GMT 2018

On 02/02/18 03:46, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On Friday 2 February 2018 4:50:36 AM IST Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
>> On Monday, January 29, 2018 10:11:09 AM AKST Ianseeks wrote:
>>> Try converting kmail to use postgresql, its a lot faster.  It doesn't
>>> eliminate akonadi issues like duplicates but i seem to get a hell of lot
>>> less of them and the "retrieving folders..." issue seems to have
>>> disappeared.  If you have to do the "akonadictl fsck/vacuum", you'll find
>>> that is so fast compared to running it using mysql
>>
>> I would like to try that, but am afraid of all the information I'd lose,
>> since there is not export/import facility for Akonadi. Do you lose all your
>> read/ unread/important statuses? Or are those stored in the maildir file?
>> What else do you lose?
>
> You could use a local dovecot instance instead of keeping mail in maildir.
>
> For me, that setup hasn't lost a mail in few years.

To me, this is one of the issues with Akonadi. You have set up another
"middleware" to fix the issues with the middleware Akonadi.

On my previous laptop I did that but I quite frankly got irritated. Now
I live with duplicate emails and the fact that I can no longer choose
what folders I want to download on an IMAP server. Say that "Clutter" on
Office365.com is totally useless to me - but I can not choose to not
have it downloaded.

that is a regression from earlier version. The double mails and ghost
mails are well known and reported plenty times.

The simple truth is that Akonadi is not a well working concept.

kind regards,
Orjan Sinclair