[SOLVED] Kmail not reflecting contents of ~/mail (maildir)

Ianseeks bingmybong at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 3 14:21:33 BST 2018

On Friday, 3 August 2018 12:23:39 BST Maurice wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Aug 2018 08:34:45 +0100, Ianseeks wrote:
>
> > 'm not sure i understand this kmail directory structure anymore
>
> No problem with the structure, just the whereabouts of the maildir DB!

I have no idea - have you looked a folder called something like "akonadir_maildir_resource_0" , this has a duplication of the folder structure with email in it.  i think the use of meaningful names to the user is no longer an option.

> Also found it's Addressbook was empty, but was able to restore it from an
> export copy I had stored for the purpose of cloning to the laptop.
>
> Have now restored the Folder View settings and also re-selected the
> various email filter folder destinations.
>
> Now it's ust a question of waiting to see which new maildir
> directory  Kmail will decide to change to next... :-)
:)

> But I would like to find where in /home the use of '.mail.directory' as
> the maildir directory is pointed to.
i'm guessing its somewhere in the internal akonadi config as the setting in kmail seems redundant

>   Any takers?!

I seem to have multiple folders in ~/.local/share referencing mail in some way namely "local-mail", ".local.mail.directory", "kmail2", "akonadir_maildir_resource_0" - none of them seem to have the full compliment of mails as seen via kmail, the oldest seems to be 2017 and i have no idea how the "cur"/"new"/tmp" folders work in each mail folder - i would have thought new unread emails into the "new" and then transferred to "cur" when read - but no, i've got both new and cur containing old read emails and i know all emails are read.
Its seems a black art.. :)

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20180731
Qt: 5.11.1 KDE Frameworks: 5.48.0 - KDE Plasma:  5.13.3 - kwin 5.13.3