A scare

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Tue Apr 24 01:36:04 BST 2018

On Mon, 2018-04-23 at 18:53 +0200, Anders Lund wrote:
> Today, it appeared like kmail simply stopped working. It showed its
> frightening BSOD, and nothing would work.
>
> After rebooting akonadi, nothing helped.
>
> Then I started the config dialog, and in the "incoming" accounts tab,
> it said
> that my main account was not connected. I pressed "restart" and
> things works
> again.
>
> Now, I ask myself why kmail is not able to tell me that the account
> is
> disconnected and offer to restart it, instead of showing the BSOD????

Yeah be aware , 2 /3 weeks ago after some updates on Fedora 26, kde and
specially kontact/kmail had huge problems ...
I couldn't login with my user because I had plasmashell crashes at
startup and plasmashell never covered, until update qt5-qtdeclarative
[1] , after that and after some work, for example, local folder change
the place , kmail wrote folders cur, new and tmp all over the
directories of my home. I could setup again the old and correct path of
local folder and visualize my 1.5 giga of emails and have pop/imap
accounts working etc .

So look for some updates in stable branches , might fix some problems ,
and prepare to a lot troubles and a day trying to recover your email
... (very sad), I used these broken updates to refresh my
configurations of KDE ... but seems to me the best and quickest way is
do a new user and configure all again if not much legacy. I can't do it
I'm upgrading KDE since 2009 , I have a lot of things RSS, emails
accounts , notes , passwords, calendars etc. but I noted/guess a new
fresh user don't have this problems , problems are always in keep old
configurations

Best regards,

[1]
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2018-99c2566953