email privacy

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Apr 10 18:17:47 BST 2018

On Dienstag, 10. April 2018 04:54:06 CEST E. Hakan Duran wrote:
> I am trying to improve my email privacy and thought that this would be a
> great platform to ask questions to a bunch of smart people. I would love to
> be able to do all this using Kontact/Kmail, so it is not totally off-topic
> in my opinion.

A simpler solution than setting up a local mail server and probably more (all
of which add attack vectors into your LAN) is switching your mail provider.
There are mail providers who (optionally) encrypt all incoming mail with your
OpenPGP key. This ensures that all mail stored at the mail provider can only
be decrypted by you, but from anywhere with any app that supports OpenPGP
(like Kontact/KMail).

A minor downside is that this service is not offered for free (as far as I
care), but I gladly pay 1 buck per month for not having to worry about setting
up and maintaining my own mail server.

Obviously, this is no replacement for end-to-end-encryption.

I'm using a German mail provider who offers this service, but I have not yet
enabled the automatic encryption.