kde-pim dev needed, for a sponsored open source effort, to remove akonadi

Martin Koller kollix at aon.at
Mon Apr 2 16:55:23 BST 2018

On Samstag, 31. März 2018 19:07:45 CEST ian at zti.co.za wrote:
> On Saturday, 31 March 2018 6:19:05 PM SAST you wrote:
>
> > Just check in kmail settings Accounts -> Receiving -> Local Folders
> > Click on "Modify..." and you get the dialog telling you the path to the
> > maildir folder ... but I assume you already knew this ...
>
> As previously mentioned, it doesn't.
>
> See screenshot.
>
> Apparently it's supposed to show physical path but all I get is logical path.
> Trying to select new path produces file tree with logical paths as well.

That (what the screenshot shows) is not what you asked for and is not what I answered.
Your screenshot shows the configuration dialog of the POP account.
What I wrote is about the "Local Folders" (the maildir configuration; see my attaches screenshot).

For clarification, it works like this:
There is the POP resource, which is the software component which talks with the POP server,
but that part does not STORE your emails locally.
Instead it forwards each new mail to the akonadi server, which knows (due to your configuration)
into which logical folder the new mails shall go and it knows which OTHER resource is responsible
for that. In my and your case it's the maildir-resource - a different piece of software, which
receives the new mails from the akonadi server and is responsible to store the mail onto disk.

So in fact it's like this:
POP-resource -> akonadi -> maildir-resource

On your system you'll find the programs running:
akonadi_pop3_resource
akonadiserver
akonadi_maildir_resource

... and others for akonadi, like the mysql server.

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin
A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
Q: Why is top posting bad?

/\                        - against proprietary attachments

Geschenkideen, Accessoires, Seifen, Kulinarisches: www.lillehus.at