KMail is irretrievably broken

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Wed Sep 13 19:42:52 BST 2017

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 8:52:52 AM MDT Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I've finally had to admit defeat. I cannot get KMail-2 to import my old
> messages, either from a KMail archive or from the corresponding directory
> structure. I created the directory by extracting the archive using Ark.
>
> The only conclusion I can come to is that there are some damaged messages in
> the archive, such that KMail cannot handle them. But instead of being
> programmed defensively, KMail seems to assume blithely that every field is
> properly formatted. When it finds something that isn't, it throws a
> wobbler.

I had great teeth-gnashing trying to import my mail into KMail2. I eventually
found that my old maildir tree had collected various dotfiles (.foo) that the
importer gagged on thinking they were supposed to be mail folders. I'd suggest
looking for dotfiles that aren't mail folders and deleting them before trying
to import them.