KMail is irretrievably broken

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Wed Sep 13 15:52:52 BST 2017

Hello list,

I've finally had to admit defeat. I cannot get KMail-2 to import my old
messages, either from a KMail archive or from the corresponding directory
structure. I created the directory by extracting the archive using Ark.

I'm running Gentoo Linux, updated daily and backed up weekly. Many's the
time I've created a new home directory for myself, arranged KDE-plasma the
way I like it and tried to import the old messages into KMail. I've taken
great pains to avoid doing two things at once, or going too fast, and I've
rebooted at every sign of trouble.

The only conclusion I can come to is that there are some damaged messages in
the archive, such that KMail cannot handle them. But instead of being
programmed defensively, KMail seems to assume blithely that every field is
properly formatted. When it finds something that isn't, it throws a wobbler.

Thinking that I might be doing something wrong in Gentoo, I even went to the
trouble of installing the latest version of OpenSuse. I got the same thing
again. In particular, numerous duplicates being created without any access
to the Internet. When I say "numerous," I mean scores of duplicates of each
of a dozen or more separate messages in various folders. It's chaos.

The only thing I can do now is to start a fresh message collection, leaving
the archive for searching with text tools.

Somebody has let the side down, and badly.

Peter.