Akonadi: change to use postgres

David Goodenough david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk
Mon Nov 20 18:04:42 GMT 2017

On Monday, 20 November 2017 17:43:07 GMT Ianseeks wrote:

Hi
Anyone know of any standard details instructions on how to change to postgres? I'm not a
db person so I wouldn;t know where to start.  I don't mind losing history of current emails
as its just for mailing lists.
The reason being is that i've started to get the "Retrieving Folder contents.." hangups
now and again from which is doesn't seem to recover (there is zero akonadi activity on
"System Activity").   If I then exit while its "hung" and do an alkonadictl fsck/vacuum it
locks up once it displays the message "optimizing table CollectionTable..." and never
returns to the command line.

Regards

Ian
--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20171117
Qt: 5.9.2

First shut down kmail and akonadi.

~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc

In there you need to add (or update) lines after [QPSQL], mine look like:-

[QPSQL]

having first made sure that you can use postgresql locally (and that you have it installed
and that you have the ability to .  Obviously replace the name (User=uuuuu) with yours
and alopng with the password (pppppp).

Then at the top of that file update the Driver= to:-

[%General]

Now when you restart kmail (and therefore akonadi) it will create the DB and the schema,
and populate the db with the index.  All your data should be retained, and it will take a
little while to create the index.

Do NOT be tempted to connect to a remote postgresql server, only use a local one.

David