My experience with kmail (was:Goodbye for now, kmail)

orestes orestes at tsc.upc.edu
Fri May 12 15:01:27 BST 2017

Hello,

As Anders reported, I experienced increased problems as a kmail user
that finally lead me to switch to Thunderbird some months ago.

I considered the possibility to report my problems somewhere, but in
this case I couldn't be much precise with the problem description and
probable causes, so I feared that my complaints could be interpreted as
a rant and start one of those destructive flame wars. I value very much
the developer's efforts to produce the best software they can for free
(and free), and I don't want to discourage them in any way.

But when I saw that the discussion in this thread has been carried on in
a respectful way (thanks all), I can now share my experience.

I work at the university and I use the email facilities provided by my
department. I used to access mail using kmail via the IMAP protocol in
all my machines, both at work and at home, except when accessing email
from my smartphone and/or tablet, which use specific clients. My
department also offers a webmail access (Horde, I think).

The situation was as follows: I had few problems when accessing emails
from my work office, but I have the server 2 stories below and a gigabit
connection. On the contrary, I experienced all kind of annoyances when
accessing my email at home, via an ADSL connection. Most of the problems
are described by other users in the mails above, so I won't repeat them.
But une of the most annoying was this one: I'm subscribed to a service
that send me a mail a day containing rich content (most HTML). Usually I
move (manually, because I read the messages first) this messages into a
specific folder. Well, when I did this at home, messages got apparently
moved (didn't appear in Inbox), but after that Kmail used to lock
frequently. When accessing my email via webmail *I could saw the moved
messages still in Inbox, but GRAYED*. Fortunately, I could delete the
offending messages in webmail and doing so restored (more or less)
normality.

Apart from that, kmail user experience at home had never been as fast
and pleasant as from work office. I came to the conclusion that this
fact was due to a bad IMAP protocol/timing implementation somewhere
(akonadi?).

Well, I don't want to add more noise to an already long mail. Hope my
experience will help someone find a fix for that. I'll check regularly
the kmail status and eventually return to it when it becomes usable
again.

Regards,

Orestes.