Goodbye for now, kmail

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat May 6 11:26:34 BST 2017

Daniel Vrátil - 06.05.17, 12:07:
> > On Saturday May 06 2017 11:31:20 Anders Lund wrote:
> > >Akonadi does not work for (IMAP) mail. It may be that it can be tweaked
> > >to somewhat work in specific cases, if the peers like mail servers are
> > >carefully chosen, but it is not a functional solution in general.
> > >
> > >The only sane thing to do, is to deakonadify kmail.
> >
> > I wonder, how open is KDEPIM to adding an optional IMAP agent that doesn't
> > rely on Akonadi? That could provide a compromise: continue to support and
> > develop the Akonadi infrastructure but users will have a choice for IMAP
> > between something (probably simpler) that just works and a default that's
> > somewhat top-heavy O:^)
>
> You have Trojita and Sink, both support IMAP and don't use Akonadi. There's
> no  way to add IMAP to KMail without using Akonadi.

I wonder whether it would be possible to do an IMAP resource that while using
Akonadi bypasses all of its cache functionality, so Akonadi would hand all
mail requests back to the resource and the resource would handle it all by
itself. But in the end still: Who would develop it?

Another application of such a cache-less resource could be an Akonadi<->Sink
bridge. I.e. have a Akonadi Sink resource that just routes all access to Sink
without telling Akonadi to cache anything of those accesses. Maybe that would
be more viable, since… well Sink has IMAP support already.

--
Martin