Goodbye for now, kmail

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat May 6 11:32:19 BST 2017

On Saturday May 06 2017 12:19:37 Anders Lund wrote:
>På Sat, 06 May 2017 12:07:22 +0200
>Daniel Vrátil <dvratil at kde.org> skrev:
>> You have Trojita and Sink, both support IMAP and don't use Akonadi.
>> There's no way to add IMAP to KMail without using Akonadi.
>
>No? I can't imagine this is due to technical reasons, so it must be
>religious.

Depends, would patches be accepted that introduce the possibility to use 3rd-party non-Akonadi agents/plugins?

Or maybe one can write a 3rd party IMAP alternative that communicates with KMail via the existing Akonadi channels but uses its own backend?

>So a fork may be the way to go?
>Kmail worked fine without akonadi for many years.

Use KMail from the Trinity desktop, supposing the Trinity devs have managed to keep Qt3 alive and kicking?

>Trojita at this point in time is not usable for my purpose, I evaluated
>that two times, latest a few weeks ago.

Second that. It's probably a nice educational project for its author(s) but without interest for anyone with modern email needs or simply multiple addresses.

>Sink I didn't hear of, and thus not evaluate.

I did, as in I looked at Kube a few months ago. It works but when I discovered it stores my passwords in clear I kicked it off my system. I don't think that's Sink's fault, but Sink alone doesn't get you very far.

R.