Getting to the bugs (was: Re: Goodbye for now, kmail)

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat May 6 08:56:27 BST 2017

Daniel Vrátil - 06.05.17, 00:53:
> <snip>
>
> > Aside from that Akonadi has to work stable of course – I am indeed
> > surprised to read from quite some users that it still doesn´t work for
> > them aside from the very annoyed performance related issues I described.
> > For me it is quite stable meanwhile. I am still on KDEPIM and Akonadi
> > 16.04. I read reports there has been new regressions, but my hope is that
> > developers improved it instead.
>
> This is the really annoying part: it all just works for me. I don't know
> what  I'm doing wrong, but it just works. I can't reproduce many of the
> misbehaviors and issues that users report and without that I can't fix
> them. Believe me that it really annoys me and that I'd much rather had the
> most broken setup ever that I could just analyze and fix, but I guess I'm
> just too lucky (or unlucky, depends on the point of view :-))

Well what can I say: I do not have any fundamental Akonadi breaks completely
issue as well since quite a long time.

Sometimes I wonder whether it makes sense to invite users that have machines
that have these issues to a sprint like event in case they want to work
closely with you and other KDEPIM devs to triage the issues. Even if its just
for one bug triaging day that is opened for users to attend.

They could bring their machines with the setups that do not work – at least in
case of laptops –, show you the buggy behavior and let you have a look at
whats going on there. I think that would make it a *lot* easier and less time
consuming for you and other developers to actually diagnose what is going on
there.

--
Martin