My major issue with Akonadi: Blocking on user input

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Jul 29 09:38:31 BST 2017

Daniel Vrátil - 29.07.17, 10:22:
> On Thursday, July 27, 2017 12:57:47 PM CEST Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Martin Steigerwald - 27.07.17, 12:43:
> > > During *whatever* large operation be it folder synchronisation, moving
> > > thousands of mails or whatever else, Akonadi blocks out any interactive
> > > requests made by me as a KMail user.
> > >
> > > So basically Akonadi still does not fully fulfill its initial promise:
> > >
> > > Always keep the UI of KMail responding to user input. Granted the KMail
> > > UI
> > > does not block completely, but when it can´t do anything useful anymore
> > > like  displaying a mail, its quite useless to me.
> > >
> > > I just today saw it again while moving thousands of mails from a large
> > > IMAP
> > > folder to an archival folder on the same IMAP account, which
> > > unfortunatly
> > > is hosted by Exchange. While the background operation takes place and
> > > Akonadi just uses about 20% of CPU during sending lots of IMAP commands
> > > (so
> > > mostly Akonadi IMAP resource active) KMail doesn´t display *any* mail I
> > > click on anymore, presenting me with the infamous "Retrieving contents"
> > > blocker message.
>
> I had a patch that implements a dynamic session pool for KMail, but it was
> causing a lot of quirks and weird behaviours. I'll see if I can revive it
> and fix the issues.

Thank you. I greatly appreciate that you already looked into that.

> > I actually started that move mail operating for exactly that reason:
> >
> > Whenever I clicked on the sent mail folder Akonadi first starts to
> > synchronize its contents even when it did so just a minute ago. And then
> > it
> > blocks on user input. So I thought I move all mails from 2016 and older to
> > an archive folder.
> >
> > Seriously this behavior is just unacceptable. I don´t care whether the
> > folder is fully synchronized… Akonadi can do it in the background and for
> > sake of not wasting tons of server resources, local database resources and
> > network bandwidth not just do it on every click on the folder (I want to
> > disable that, but I can´t currently, see thread "synchronisation
> > settings"). I just want to see that one mail that I sent… now.
>
> Right-click the folder, go to Folder Properties -> Retrieval, uncheck "Use
> options from parent folder", uncheck "Synchronize when selecting folder".

Exactly that doesn´t work with KDEPIM + Akonadi 16.04. When I open the dialog
again the old options are shown as set again. See thread:

Synchronization settings (was: Re: Reducing .local/share/akonadi)

Does it actually work for you? Then I consider it fixed and will wait for new
KDEPIM + Akonadi packages for Debian Sid, try out KDE Neon, or compile KDEPIM
+ Akonadi with kdesrc-build (the setup is still there on my laptop, I stopped
doing that at one time due to resource restraints, disk space low).

Thank you,
--
Martin