First uses of kmail on new user

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Feb 3 19:56:50 GMT 2017

Hi Ian.

Am Freitag, 3. Februar 2017, 09:48:18 CET schrieb ianseeks:
> Created a new user and started kmail to set it up.
> Its created the local folders as "/home/newuser/.local/share/
> akonadi_maildir_resource_0/"  - how can i rename this safely to something
> more descriptive like "local-folders" - can i just rename it in dolphin and
> just update the kmail config accordingly?

I have seen that as well. It seems to be the new default to use the name of
the resource. But I also prefer the old move descriptive name.

If you rename it while the maildir resource is running, the maildir resource
may get confused as it has inotify watches… but on the other hand, these are
on *inodes* so they should survive the rename.

But I think you can do it offline as well, like in:

- stop kmail
- akonadictl stop
- make sure database process is gone
- edit path in ~/.config/akonadi_maildir_resource_0rc
- mv ~/.local/share/akonadi_maildir_resource_0 ~/.local/share/local-mail
- start kmail

And in any case: Make a backup first :)

Thanks,
--