Upgrade woes

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Sat Aug 26 10:46:01 BST 2017

On Saturday, August 26, 2017 1:55:33 AM CEST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Saturday August 26 2017 00:12:34 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > Yes, there's no listview font settings in KDE - by default font settings I
> > mean the default KDE font.
>
> That's a problem. The default font is too large and often too wide for list
> views, period. This will be especially true on Mac where the default system
> font is 13pt (or even 14pt) Lucida Grande. Applications using that font
> throughout their interface look as if they're designed for visually
> impaired users and waste screen space needlessly.
>
> You mentioned prehistoric KDE versions where applications had to chose their
> own fonts because of a missing central configuration feature. Please keep
> in mind that that feature is part of the Plasma desktop and is not
> officially available elsewhere (the fonts KCM is part of a huge plasma
> package, and the whole "KDE font palette" mechanism is implemented in KDE's
> platform theme integration plugin, which officially exists only for Plasma.

Let me rephrase then: Qt5 applications, including Kontact, follow Qt font
settings, which in Plasma can be configured through Plasma's System Settings,
in Gnome, if Qt Adwaita platform theme is installed, follows GNOME font
settings which can be configured through GNOME Setting. On Windows and Mac it
follows system-wide font settings that can be configured through corresponding
platform font configuration tool.

> > for each item. Yes, we could have a check that if (readFontSize ==
> > unreadFontSize == flaggedFontSize == hasAttachmentForSize ==
> > encryptedFontSize && allTagsHaveTheSameFontSize &&
> > probablySeveralOtherCasesThatIforgoutAboutHaveAllTheSameFonts :-) then
> > trigger a faster code path, but this only complicates the code, we don't
> > want to simply maintain that.
>
> It seems we're having a misunderstanding here. I can indeed imagine how
> using different typefaces for different rows or columns in a list view will
> complicate matters at the code level. It also complicates matters
> needlessly at the UI level, as far as I'm concerned. I'm only thinking of
> setting a custom font for all items in the view, which in practice
> shouldn't be different from selecting bold and/or italic. Would it really
> make a noticeable difference if the systemfont is set to, say, Arial 12pt
> and you set the message list font to Arial Narrow 10pt?

Ah, sorry for misunderstanding. In that case there's nothing to discuss, you
can still customize that: Settings -> Configure KMail -> Appearance -> Font ->
Apply to: Message List

The only thing you can't change is different font family or size for read,
unread etc. messages.

> > That won't work anyway, we just query
> > QFontDatabase:::systemFont(QFontDatabase::GeneralFont).
>
> You might be surprised what a style can do; it basically does all the
> drawing and I *think* it would be perfectly possible to implement a font
> replacement feature in a style plugin.

Not even a style can override QFontDatabase::GeneralFont :-)

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683