Upgrade woes

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Sat Aug 26 10:02:27 BST 2017

On Saturday, 26 August 2017 00:55:33 BST René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> ... I'm only thinking of setting a custom font for all items in the view,
> which in practice shouldn't be different from selecting bold and/or
> italic. Would it really make a noticeable difference if the systemfont is
> set to, say, Arial 12pt and you set the message list font to Arial Narrow
> 10pt?

Yes! The default font in KDE Plasma is Noto. If I leave my folder list in
Noto it occupies more than one screen, vertically; and my message list is
needlessly big, obtrusive and wasteful. I've tried living with it, but I
soon reverted to my preferred Deja Vu, which is much more economical and
still perfectly legible.

I'd hate to lose this bit of control over my system. It's a major reason for
disliking Gnome.

There seems to be a general drive these days towards wasting acres of screen
space, to no useful effect; also towards removing visual clues to, for
example, what is a button and what is just a coloured box. This is not
progress. Neither, if I may say so, is the new line-less indentation of
folders in KMail's folder list; it's just change for the sake of it. If it
ain't broke, don't fix it.

Peter.