Upgrade woes

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Fri Aug 25 23:12:34 BST 2017

On Friday, August 25, 2017 11:33:08 PM CEST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Friday August 25 2017 22:40:06 Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > Anyhow, in Settings -> Spellchecker try disabling automatic detection of
> > language and just choose en_GB. I don't know how the autodetection works,
> > but maybe it just defaults to en_US if it sees English.
>
> It tends (or used) to work not too bad for sufficiently different languages
> like English and French (and that's where it comes in handy), but I
> wouldn't trust it between en_GB and en_US or pt_PT and pt_BR...
> > > Two fine-tuning aspects are important to me but have gone missing.
> > > First, I
> > > can't choose the font of the folder list, so it wastes space and now
> > > needs a vertical scroll bar.
> >
> > Was that ever even customizable?
>
> In KMail4 : Appearance/Fonts/Use custom fonts/Apply to "Folder List"
>
> > Message list font options have been removed and KMail follows your
> > system-wide font settings - you can only choose color now. This wasn't a
> > young hotshot
> But what system-wide font setting? AFAIK there's no
> font-to-use-for-listviews. I run into this problem with KDevelop too: most
> all tree views use a too large font or else I'm forced to select a smaller
> standard font than is comfortable.

Yes, there's no listview font settings in KDE - by default font settings I
mean the default KDE font.

> > removing features just for the sake of removing features, but being able
> > pre-calculate sizes of all the message list entries lead to massive speed
> > up when opening folders - previously we had to calculate dimensions for
> > each entry individually which is very expensive.
>
> I don't understand, how can that not be required by just using a default
> font, and even if so, why would turning off the "use custom fonts" option
> not remove that expensive requirement?
>
> I do understand that maintaining the associated code is expensive too, but
> we're also talking about a speed/usability trade-off.
>
> What if the user selects a message list display mode where columns are
> always the same width (exactly as I want them)? I'd think that you wouldn't
> need to precalculate anything dimensions then, rather than letting Qt do
> its job. If that's correct, couldn't you consider bringing back the font
> customisation via simple listwidget->setFont() call and disable the fancier
> message list modes that can't cope with that?

The problem is about height of the row which depends on size of the font - you
can still customize bold/italics but you can't change font or font size.
Imagine you configure a larger font for unread messages and now suddenly the
code cannot do any assumptions about the height of the row, since you don't
know its height until you get to render it. So this is not about deviating
from system font, it's about the possible inconsistencies between font sizes
for each item. Yes, we could have a check that if (readFontSize ==
unreadFontSize == flaggedFontSize == hasAttachmentForSize == encryptedFontSize
&& allTagsHaveTheSameFontSize &&
probablySeveralOtherCasesThatIforgoutAboutHaveAllTheSameFonts :-) then trigger
a faster code path, but this only complicates the code, we don't want to
simply maintain that.

> > We agreed that it makes more sense to follow system-wide default, since
> > the
> > gain is much huge speedup and less code for us to maintain ;-)
>
> Hmm, I think I might have to dive back into my favourite widget style and
> see if one can impose a global font for list view items in there...

That won't work anyway, we just query
QFontDatabase:::systemFont(QFontDatabase::GeneralFont).

Dan

Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683