Upgrade woes

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Fri Aug 25 21:40:06 BST 2017

On Friday, August 25, 2017 11:23:30 AM CEST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm starting a new thread rather than hijacking the Ctrl-N one. This is a
> Gentoo stable box on which KMail has recently become available at version
> 5.5.3.
>
> I've just upgraded and I'm not very happy. This is my second attempt at
> posting; the first time, while I was writing I went to check which
> dictionary was in use for spell checking - of course, it was American
> "English", in spite of the system-wide setting of UK. When I closed that
> dialogue my new mail had vanished. > That needs a bug report.

I agree, that sounds like a bug - messages should not vanish :)

Anyhow, in Settings -> Spellchecker try disabling automatic detection of
language and just choose en_GB. I don't know how the autodetection works, but
maybe it just defaults to en_US if it sees English.

> I still have a greyed-out Import menu item, so I'll never be able to recover
> mails from KMail's own archives. That also looks like a bug to me.

I thought I already replied to this, but now I realized I can't see the email
anywhere, so maybe I did not: check if you have pim-settings-exporter
installed, that's what exports (and imports) KDE PIM settings.

> Two fine-tuning aspects are important to me but have gone missing. First, I
> can't choose the font of the folder list, so it wastes space and now needs a
> vertical scroll bar.

Was that ever even customizable?

> Second, I also can't choose the font of unread
> messages in the message list, which insists on being bigger than the read
> ones, in spite of my setting classic standard mailing list aggregation.

Message list font options have been removed and KMail follows your system-wide
font settings - you can only choose color now. This wasn't a young hotshot
removing features just for the sake of removing features, but being able to
pre-calculate sizes of all the message list entries lead to massive speed up
when opening folders - previously we had to calculate dimensions for each
entry individually which is very expensive.

This is a trade-off between speed and customizability. The reason why KMail
even had this possibility for customization dates back into early KDE 2 times,
when there was no KDE-wide font settings and so each application had its own.
We agreed that it makes more sense to follow system-wide default, since the
gain is much huge speedup and less code for us to maintain ;-)

> Moreover, all my layout and config options had got lost and I had to set
> them up again.

Sorry to hear that, all your configuration should've been migrated, Laurent put
a lot of efforts into ensuring that. I can't tell why that did not work for
you :(

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | me at dvratil.cz
facebook.com/danvratil | @danvratil | +DanVrátil

GPG Key: 0xF5065B61
Fingerprint: 76C9 2F08 5D0D 6F9E 5AD4 2BFD 3A85 0307 F506 5B61