franKenMail? :)

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Aug 25 11:19:44 BST 2017

Hello René.

René J.V. Bertin - 25.08.17, 11:54:
> All this talk about interface issues and (d)evolution gave me a very wild
> thought: what about using my trusty old Kontact, KMail (etc) 4.13 or 4.14
> frontends with the KF5 versions of Akonadi and the Akonadi agents?
>
> AFAIK the frontends communicate through DBus with the agents so there should
> be no Qt mix-and-mis-matching in any individual process involved. I also
> understand that the KF5 versions use exactly the same runtime (DBus)
> namespaces which is why they cannot be installed and active together on a
> single system. That doesn't of course exclude the possibility that crucial
> protocols have been extended with required calls which Kontact4 and family
> don't make.
>
> I'm not expecting anyone ever tried this, but some might have an idea if it
> could work (Dan? :))

Im am pretty much sure that it won´t work without considerable development
effort. For the simple reason of KF5 versions of Akonadi + Akonadi agents
being Qt5, while KMail 4.14/4.13 being Qt4. Also Akonadi in KF5 has switched
to a faster binary protocol (of course, you could try the versions before
that… but then you are out of support either…)

I never digged deeper into the source code than for a optimization of Maildir
resource performance and that was with lots of help… but I am pretty much sure
that Dan would advise not to try this.

I didn´t follow the interface issues thread… but I really wonder what you want
to achieve by going that route. I´d rather recommend to help tackling whatever
interface issues you faced with current KMail.

Thanks,
--
Martin