Akonadi dsaster

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Oct 14 21:14:42 BST 2016

Am Freitag, 14. Oktober 2016, 09:25:11 CEST schrieb Daniel Vrátil:
> On Saturday, October 8, 2016 12:39:30 AM CEST Martin Steigerwald wrote:
[…]
> > Am Mittwoch, 5. Oktober 2016, 09:19:19 CEST schrieb O. Sinclair:
> > > It is, and sorry for rant, but it is quite simply embarrasing that K9
> > > mail on my android phone works better than KMail 5.x
> > >
> > > Akonadi was/is probably a nice concept but crash in this version not
> > > only on a daily but basically hourly basis. Noone seems to know just why
> > > the database thing goes bonkers all the time.
> > >
> > > I am dead tired of "akonadictl stop", "akondictl fsck" and "akonadictl
> > > start". Then wait while the mails from IMAP are downloaded once again
> > > though it is set to "offline IMAP".
> > >
> > > Can we "deAkonadi" KMail?
> >
> > While I still think Akonadi has some severe issues like moving of 1000nds
> > of mails from one maildir folder to another is almost as inefficient as
> > it can get and moving a complete folder even more so…
> >
> > and akonadi being basically single-tasking so that a background folder
> > synchronisation blocks out KMail…
> >
> > as well as Akonadi + Exchange IMAP something just not displaying new mail
> > via IMAP push to inbox without akonadictl stop ; start …
>
> Can I just get away with blaming silly Exchange? :-) I have an IMAP patch

Nope :). Exchange has a crap IMAP implementation according to Trojita author
Jan Kundrat (sorry for missing accents, would need to cut and paste them
again), yet… whatever crap it does, Akonadi IMAP resource should recover.

> that adds loooots of debug messages to the IMAP resource session handling.
> Would you be able to compile the IMAP resource with it, so we maybe get
> more details as to what stalls the resource?

I think I would be able to. Yet, I still have KDEPIM 16.04 on my Debian Sid
and I am not sure whether it would work there. As for compiling all of KDEPIM…
as I did in the past: I am running low on space on my SSDs to hold the
sources, the build files and the resulting binaries and thus need to find a way
to either move some files away or dare to try deduplication in BTRFS or buy
larger SSDs.

> > I think its about time I also try to exclude IMAP folders from indexing…
> > yet I think with IMAP there may be the issue that it just doesn´t respect
> > the folder indexing setting. Or maybe its even completely ignored… but
> > since I didn´t access the archival folders anymore since last clearing
> > Akonadi search_db they are not indexed.
>
> It's true that the indexer currently ignores the NoIndexing attribute.
> That's bug and should be fixed.

I looked into it once, but couldn´t wrap my head around the code. I didn´t
understand where I would need to make that change. But that has been a while
ago and I don´t even remember where I exactly looked.

Thanks,
--
Martin