Akonadi dsaster

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Fri Oct 14 08:12:10 BST 2016

On Monday, October 10, 2016 10:12:42 AM CEST Michael Mol wrote:
> A *huge* chunk of this, for me, turned out to be in the abysmal MySQL
> configuration it defaults to. I posted about it on Google+ and on /r/kde
> several months ago. https://plus.google.com/+MichaelMolG/posts/HQQH6RHhLNw
>
> I'll note my understanding of Akonadi has improved slightly since I wrote
> that; I wasn't able to find where Akonadi's MySQL configuration was kept, so
> I switched out to using a system mysqld.That's not necessary if you know
> where Akonadi sources its MySQL configuration from.
>
> I'll also add that I'm syncing nearly a decade's worth of email from GMail
> into Akonadi, hundreds of thousands of emails. People without as much email
> history likely won't see the same kind of performance difficulties I do.
>
> Here's the relevant excerpt:
>
> Altogether, here are the changes I've made:
>
> In my.cnf
<snip>

Oooo, this looks quite interesting, thanks.

The major problem with the default database configuration is to find the right
balance. If you go too high, regular users who only have a gmail with a few
emails with funny cat gifs and powerpoint presentations will complain that we
use to much resources. On the other hand if we go too low, power users will
complain that their 2 million emails from 10 years of kernel mailing list
takes ages to load. Striking the right balance is hard.

There is a good point that we could probably increase all the default values a
bit since the computers are generally better equipped nowadays that they were
some 5 years ago, but again, we need to be rather conservative about that.

I would like to see some sort of a self-balancing configuration, where the
database could "suggest" optimal settings based on long-time load and
available hardware resources. That would magically solve the issue described
above, but that's more of a day-dreaming :-)

Pablo made a good point elsewhere in this thread about the ridiculous amount
of queries we do. I've added some more optimizations to master recently to
speed up some things, but there's still a long way to go :(

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683