[kdepim-users] adding maildir files

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Wed May 4 10:56:56 BST 2016

On Dienstag, 3. Mai 2016 21:22:15 CEST Bruce Byfield wrote:
> On May 3, 2016 06:57:40 PM Bruce Byfield wrote:
> >I have a collection of maildir files. For convenience, I would like to
> >add them to Kmail, but so far I'm not having any luck. I can't just add
> >them to the right directory, perhaps because some things are now
> >stored in Akonadi data bases. Nor I can archive the files and import
> >them through File > Import Messages.
> >
> >Can anyone suggest anything else?
>
> My usual jinx is working: soon after I posted my question, I found a
> solution.
>
> I remembered that I always use plain text, and that the Import feature
> include an option for plain text. I installed a bulk renamer, used it to
> add  ".txt" to all the maildir I wanted to put into Kmail, then
> successfully imported them.
>
> So, no need to reply, but maybe my solution will help someone with the
> same problem.

What I think also works is placing directories into ~/.local/share/local-mail
or wherever your local folders resource points to.

Akonadi monitors this folder and subfolders via inotify. I know it works for
single mail files. I am not sure whether it recognizes a new folder. Maybe you
would need to create the folder in KMail or AkonadiConsole and then copy the
mail files to it.

Thanks,
--
Martin