[kdepim-users] Offline Email

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 17:55:25 BST 2016

I will note that will take a *long* time to synchronize if you have a great
deal of email to synchronize, and it may require you to tune the MySQL
instance Akonadi uses for system performance to be reasonable.

For example, on my system, I have these configured...it required me to point
akonadi at a different mysqld than the one it wanted to spawn so I could get
the configuration in place, but it works. (It's also tuned for my system, which
has 16GB of RAM. If you have less, you'll want innodb_buffer_pool_size much
lower.)

innodb_buffer_pool_size = 4096M
innodb_buffer_pool_instances = 16
innodb_flush_method=O_DIRECT
innodb_buffer_pool_load_at_startup=ON
innodb_buffer_pool_dump_at_shutdown=ON
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 2
innodb_file_per_table

skip-innodb_doublewrite
query_cache_type=ON
query_cache_size=256M
thread_cache_size=256

I also have a couple sysctl values set:

vm.dirty_background_bytes = 131072
vm.dirty_bytes = 1048576

With those, I can heavy disk activity coming from MySQL during the initial
sync process (ten years of email, in my case), with the rest of the system
remaining somewhat usable. Once the initial sync is complete, system load dies
down considerably. Though a full resync of a folder with hundreds of thousands
of messages in it will still take quite a while, it won't make the rest of the
computer unusable.

--
:wq