[kdepim-users] Kontact crashed, will not reopen

gczerw at ec.rr.com gczerw at ec.rr.com
Fri Feb 26 22:17:26 GMT 2016

I was in the process of forwarding an email when Kontact crashed.  It will not reopen.  I just get the following screen:

Kontact - The KDE Crash Handler

We are sorry, Kontact closed unexpectedly.

Details:
Executable: kontact   PID: 31151  Signal:  Segmentation fault (11)

When I click on the Developer Information tab, I see:

The generated crash information is not useful

Application: Kontact (kontact), signal: Segmentation fault

Thread 1 (process 31151):
#0  0x00007fa1a3084fdd in ?? ()
#1  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

Missing debug informations - The KDE Crash handler

The packages containing debug information for the following application and libraries are missing:

/usr/bin/kontact

We are sorry, Kmail closed unexpectedly.

Details:
Executable: kmail   PID: 7581  Signal:  Aborted (6)

When I click on the Developer Information tab, I see:

The generated crash information is not useful
Application: KMail (kmail), signal: Aborted

Thread 1 (process 7581):
#0  0x00007f9569bc4fc0 in ?? ()
#1  0x00007f9569bc4e7c in ?? ()
#2  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

Missing debug informations - The KDE Crash handler

The packages containing debug information for the following application and libraries are missing:

/usr/bin/kmail

Stopping and re-starting Akonadi made no difference.  All Akonadi resources are reporting Ready except the Pop-3 mail resource, which isn't started.

Using KDE 4.14.10

This is the first time that I have ever had any problem with KDE/Kontact/Kmail.
Any help would be appreciated.  I'm totally lost...