kmail: all mail folder are missing

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 07:25:23 GMT 2016

On 12/17/16 17:26, dirk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> by canceling a kmail 4.8.5 resource in system control of KDE 4.8.5 on a
> linux box with opensuse 12.2 kmail terminated.
> After this all mail-folder and current mails are missing.
>
> Until now I thougt my mail an mail-folder were located in
> /home/user/Mail. In this folder tere are actually a lot of mails and
> folders but only until year 2012.
>
> Where do I find the configured mail-folder of kmail?
>
> Is loss of all mails in this situation possible?
> Searching the filesystem does not help.
>
> After termination of kmail new mail and new mail-folders are now located
> in ~/.local/share/local-mail, possible the standard folder.
>
> What to do to find my older mails?
>
> There is a 3 days old backup file present. Which folder an files are to
> restore?
>
> --
> Dirk

Tell you the sad truth: I have no idea, it is a mystery to me. They seem
to be moved around with every second release or so for some reason I
don't get. I just cross my fingers the backup works...

but you can start in /home/yourname/.local/share/local-mail

There will be hidden folders in there, with some luck, that might
contain your email