[kdepim-users] Bluetooth contact synchronization?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 14:41:09 BST 2016

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 03:19:12 PM Volker Wysk wrote:
> Am Wednesday 27 April 2016, 14:37:48 schrieb O. Sinclair:
> > On 27/04/2016 13:58, Michael Mol wrote:
> > > Is there a way to synchronize contacts with my cell phone via Bluetooth?
> > > Googling around suggests OpenSync used to be The One True Way, but it
> > > also
> > > looks like OpenSync is dead in the water.
> > >
> > > KDEConnect's settings don't include contact sync support, and, anyhow,
> > > it
> > > conflicts with Plasma 5 here on Gentoo.
> >
> > Short answer: No. Not that I am aware of. Neither can you really sync
> > via internet either (to laptop) lest you go via Google or something
>
> I've installed an OwnCloud on my desktop. My smartphone, desktop and laptop
> synchronize the contacts with the server via CardDAV. I'm using Kontact on
> the desktop and the laptop. For the smartphone, the app CardDAV-Sync is
> needed.

Hm. I might give this a shot. Or I might not worry about it.

The bulk of the contacts I want to pull in are all handled by my Google
account anyway. Googling isn't really making it clear to me why Google Data
resources aren't appearing under System Settings...which I take to be because
I have kde-plasma/systemsettings (Plasma 5), not kde-base/systemsettings
(KDE4). And as I recall, Kontact hasn't been ported to Plasma 5 yet.

CardDAV-Sync may be my only option in the short term.

I already use Dropbox, so I suppose I could run a WebDAV server on top of a
folder tucked away in there. That would, conveniently, also get picked up by
my backups.
--
:wq