[kdepim-users] imap message state and using multiple versions of kmail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 20:47:11 BST 2015

On Tuesday 15 September 2015 08:42:55 Mathias Homann wrote:
> Am 09/14/2015 um 11:35 PM schrieb René J.V. Bertin:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm still running KDE PIM 4.13.3 on my Linux netbook, but a very
> > recent KDE/4.14 git head on my Mac. I've begun to notice that
> > certain messages I read with 4.13.3 first remain shown as unread by
> > the 4.14.4 version, regardless of how often I refresh the
> > containing folder or restart kmail. Akonadi is at the same version
> > on both machines.
> >
> > I suppose it shouldn't, but could this be a side-effect of using 2
> > versions concurrently?
> >
> I'm having the same thing accessing one imap account using multiple
> clients on multiple platforms, mails that I have definitely read
> already (using kmail on my laptop/thunderbird on windows/k9 on my
> phone) appear as unread on kmail on my desktop. So far I've put that
> down as a feature...

The IMAP server might be to blame (or KMail's compatibility with this
server) because I never saw this problem with multiple Microsoft
Exchange accounts that I access with multiple clients over IMAP. KMail
on Linux and Thunderbird on Windows as well as Microsoft's webmail
client (OWA) happily share the read/unread state. I'm not sure whether
the different clients share the important/starred state, but I am sure
that different version of KMail running on my laptop and my PC do share
this state.