[kdepim-users] Fwd: akonadi 4 & 5 not coinstallable !

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 19:16:45 GMT 2015

Hello,

I just received the message below, teaching me that Akonadi 4 and 5 are supposedly not co-installable.

I'm still a long way off from building either kdepimlibs5 or akonadi5, but the message did catch my attention.

It doesn't surprise me too much that one cannot run both at the same time (then again, maybe one can as long as there's only a single database server running). But I cannot help but wonder if the idea of appending a 5 to the names of the various agents (executables) hasn't been considered, like this has been done for so many other executables. Is it feasible to "patch this in"?

What is the more exact nature of the 4/5 conflict? The thread referred to makes a reference to the dependency of kdepimlibs on akonadi, which also raises the question to what extent one can install KF5 applications that depend on kdepimlibs5 while also still using KDE4 applications that depend on kdepimlibs4 ?

NB: I am approaching this from OS X, where the actual KDE4 akonadi agents are built as "app bundles" which are installed in a dedicated directory that is different from the one where KF5 app bundles are installed. There won't be conflict at that level (even if the KF5 agents are built as regular executables).

Thoughts?
René