[kdepim-users] rant

E. Hakan Duran ehakanduran at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 04:47:28 GMT 2015

Hi all,

I guess I just wanted to rant a little bit about KDEPIM. I have been a loyal
user of Kontact/Kmail/KDEPIM since 2003 or so. Back in the days of KDE 3,
things would work flawlessly, then came KDE 4 and eventually the akonadi
backbone for KDEPIM. I never gave up on the suite at its worst times mostly
because of its flexibility for customization. Although I am ranting now, I
don't see myself giving up on KDEPIM anytime soon. That being said, I am still
disappointed with its current state. KDE 5 is around the corner now but I
don't think KDEPIM 4.14.3 is anywhere close to Kontact/Kmail 3.x.x when KDE 4
was about to be implemented. I just cleaned a *75 GB *
~/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data folder, and decided to disable the offline
mode for IMAP accounts, since those would start filling this folder again
incredibly quickly. Disabling offline mode is not ideal either, since you need
to wait a few or more seconds to be able to see the contents of an email. I
also encountered a few problems over the course of the years, including
corruption of the mysqllite database and having to recreate all my accounts
from scratch, etc. There are a few more criticisms, but this should suffice for
this email.

I used to love and admire Kontact/Kmail, now it is a love and hate
relationship, just like a seasoned marriage. Unfortunately I lack the
expertise to be able to contribute to the improvement of this now very
complicated piece of software. I just hope something miraculous happens soon
and the usability of KDEPIM improves significantly; both on a day-to-day basis
and in the long term (see the rant above about significant accumulation of junk
data in folders in time). As a consumer, I am yet to be convinced that the
switch to akonadi backbone was a good decision.

I am sorry to take your time, and thanks to those who read up to this point.

Hakan Duran