[kdepim-users] "mailing list/post new message" starts up Thunderbird?!?! - SOLVED

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 10:46:10 GMT 2015

On Saturday January 03 2015 11:19:47 Anders Lund wrote:

A big thanks to you, sir, for mentioning the magic term xdg (which I should have thought of myself)!

>Right. A hidden evil file somewhere in the xdg search path - maybe ~/.local or
>~/.config?

xdg-open mailto:a at b indeed starts up thunderbird.

#> fgrep -i mailto -R ~/.local/share/mime/ -R ~/.config/ | fgrep -i thunder

returns nothing of interest but

#> xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/mailto
thunderbird.desktop

#> xdg-mime default kmailservice.desktop x-scheme-handler/mailto
#> xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/mailto
kmailservice.desktop

And after that, things work as expected.

>As earlier said, I experienced somthing similar some time ago, after
>having used thunderbird for a short while.

I missed that 2nd part, making us fellow victims ... ;)

Good news is that simply using Thunderbird occasionally will not reset the xdg association (in a running session?), at least not when it's configured NOT to check if it's the default email handler.

R.