[kdepim-users] akonadi dump

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Wed Jan 21 08:26:21 GMT 2015

Am Dienstag, 20. Januar 2015, 19:29:33 schrieb E. Hakan Duran:
> Hi all,

Hi,

> Please accept my apologies if this is a common question, but I noticed today
> that my ~/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/ folder is 79 GB in size! I
> found this:
> http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdepim/kmail/clean-start-after-a-failed-migra
> tion.html but I have 7 identities and 7 IMAP accounts, which I hate to set
> up again. What would be the cleanest way to get rid of the junk with
> minimal impact on akonadi/kmail settings/performance?
>
> Thanks in advance for the recommendations. Working with Fedora 21, KDE /
> Kmail and KDEPIM 4.14.3 here.

I´d make a backup and try

akonadictl fsck

then, as I believe, that would clear out unreferenced entries in there or move
them to lost+found where you can delete them. It seems that by belief is
backed by a post from Einar in forums:

Re: KMail2 quirks. Should I redo my installation?
Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:53 pm

Can you try first with an "akonadictl fsck"? This should wipe references to
things that are no longer stored in Akonadi. Notice that it will return
immediately - things will be done in the background.

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=124049#p326001

If the database is huge, you can also try

akonadictl vacuum

I don´t know whether this will do anything with the cached files as akonadictl
seems to be heavily underdocumented:

martin at merkaba:~> LANG=C man akonadictl
No manual entry for akonadictl
See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.

(rarely seen on a Debian machine as it is policy to have a manpage for each
executable)

I have had issues with it as well, as I have more than 500000+ files in there
at work with one huge IMAP account.

I am not aware of any other way to influence it. Also note: If you make that
clean start and delete anything in ~/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/ as to
my understanding there may still be files that Akonadi caches only there. As
for new mails, I think, Akonadi may cache them there until storing it at their
final location. But well, you have IMAP, so then this is no issue, but with
locally stored mails aka POP3 it may be.

Ciao,