[kdepim-users] WARNING: sometimes two copies of mysqld are running after stopping and starting Akonadi

Volker Kuhlmann list0570 at top.geek.nz
Tue Feb 10 20:17:46 GMT 2015

On Thu 05 Feb 2015 23:07:55 NZDT +1300, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> I have local filter rules for example. They all mismatch to wrong folders
> after a database wipe.
>
> I work-around it by deleting all filter rules and re-importing from backup,
> cause then it matches the folder by names which didnĀ“t change.

I see the problem in that case. Is it possible to easily back up the
mail-related akonadi info, excluding mbox files and maildir directories
of which I know where they are and don't need KDE for backing up, just
in general?

I use fetchmail and procmail, because it is independent of any GUI, can
be accessed over ssh, does not need my interaction, works with any MUA
(kmail actually gives the biggest problems), and also importantly, does
not rely on any desktop bloat. It *always* works reliably and has not
let me down in 20 years, whereas after each system upgrade I need to
kick kmail and KDE into shape, which is why I think it a bad idea to
put oneself into a position to be critically dependent on them. I also
don't have to ask how to do backups because I know where the config and
mail files are and that both together are dependably the sum total of
all stored information.

It's time for a system upgrade again and the need to
 rm -rf ~/.kde* ~/.local/
because I don't trust KDE to work otherwise. kmail already stopped
working properly, it doesn't read smtp passwords from wallet any more,
no apparent reason could be found - the type of reason why I avoid being
dependent on it.

So if there is an easy way to back up all the personal info in KDE
(email accounts, mail file locations, etc) and restore it into an
upgraded KDE I'd really like to know about it.

Thanks,

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann