[kdepim-users] rant

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Feb 11 17:44:40 GMT 2015

On Tuesday 10 February 2015 20:10:11 E. Hakan Duran wrote:
> Please see below my results:
> > I got this (for my 4 online IMAP accounts):
> > # ls ~/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data | wc -l
> > 30254
>
> 138989
>
> > # grep -hi -m1 "^message-id:" ~/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/*
> >
> > >message- ids.txt
> >
> > # cat message-ids.txt | wc -l
> > 30221
>
> 137198
>
> > # cat message-ids.txt | sort | uniq | wc -l
> > 21081
>
> 13126
>
> > So, there are 30254 messages and other Akonadi objects (larger than the
> > threshold). Those contain 30221 Message-ID headers (some of the files
> > contain address book entries) of which 21081 are unique (so about every
> > 3rd
> > message seems to be a duplicate).
>
> It looks like 1 out 10 messages is unique in my case.

Wow. That's a lot of duplicates. :-(

Did you try running 'akonadictl fsck' after you switched to offline mode?

> No, I don't keep
> messages in my inbox, they get labeled via Gmail and delivered to
> corresponding folders upon receipt. This is all taken care of by Gmail
> server, so I wonder why akonadi database is so much more inefficient in my
> case.
>
> With all due respect, I still find it hardly reasonable to dedicate > 50 GB
> HDD space for a total of 3 darn IMAP accounts.

I also find it unreasonable that Akonadi needs > 50 GB when GMail just needs
~8.5 GB (including all of the messages that are smaller than the "store the
messages in the database" threshold).