[kdepim-users] font rendering errors running kmail on gnome

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Feb 16 11:07:33 GMT 2015

Greetings;

Your basic wheezy install on an AMD phenom with 8 Gb of memory.  Nouveau
driver for generic nvidia card, an EVGA GeForce 8400 GS.

I am at a loss as to where to find a doorstep to lay this problem on, but
in kmail-1.13.7's message window, a message containing a number string
followed by(no spaces) a numerical abbreviation for the scaling of that
number, such as 320GB, is actually rendered as 3## where the 2 char
scaler, the 'GB' is actually rendered on top of the '20'.  Its font
independent, you can change the font family, and its size, bold or italic
attributes without effecting the trashed display.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to isolate this?  I do not believe
I have noticed it anyplace but the message window, and possibly in the
printed out if I print the message suffering from this.

If I mouse highlight it, and middle button paste it to a terminal screen,
there it renders correctly.  But when wiping the mouse across the string,
the highlighting doesn't always follow the mouse smoothly, as if there is
an invisible character or 2 there.

Running low on hair from scratching my head on this one. :)

Suggestions welcome.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)