[kdepim-users] q: Kontact > External Editor -- activate via keyboard shortcut?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 11:07:41 GMT 2014

On Wednesday November 12 2014 20:48:18 Pablo Sanchez wrote:

Hi Pablo

>When Composing a new message in Kontact, is it possible to invoke the
>/external editor/ via a command line?
>
>The reason I am asking is I tend to compose in either plain ASCII or
>HTML.  What I'd like to do is when composing in ASCII, I'd like to open
>my favorite editor.

`kmail --help-all` doesn't seem to suggest that this is an existing possibility.

What do you actually intend to do - type in a command line on a more or less occasional basis, or add an option to an application you're working on?
I take it your fav. editor doesn't have a mail command (and cannot be programmed to provide one)?

Either way, kmail does allow you to specify the message body on the command line, either from file (--msg) or from that same command line (--body). With that you can easily write a script that launches your fav. editor with the options required to channel the generated text into a new kmail message.

Cheers,
R.