[kdepim-users] chatty akonadi apps

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 13:46:29 GMT 2014

On Saturday November 08 2014 14:10:52 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Samstag, 8. November 2014, 13:53:21 schrieb Kevin Krammer:

> > Application developers sometimes use non KDE logging, e.g. qDebug()
> > statments, which are unaffected by the debug settings.

Yes, I know, I plead guilty to that too :)

> > If you are still seeing output such as that you could report it as an issue
> > with the software.

This was my first step to draw attention to the fact ;)

> Akonadi is indeed very chatty in ~/.xsession-errors or as you can see from
> just doing akonadictl restart in a console window.

Exactly what I'm seeing. I have managed not to get anything in ~/.Xsession-errors (don't remember exactly how, but I think by editing Xstartup to redirect to /dev/null), but I wouldn't be surprised if the same output is logged elsewhere too.
Not only does this carry privacy considerations, it pollutes the logs as indicated, it wastes disk space (esp. if you don't log off every day; .Xsessions-error does not get rotated AFAIK). And it wastes CPU cycles. That may not be a *personal* consideration for some who own the latest and greatest hardware, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't program for (or at least thinking of) the lowest common denominator.

> > Having that said, porting to Qt5 should improve that situation at some point
> > as well, since it now also has a logging framework capable of being
> > configured and developers are urged to switched to that.

Well, with kDebug and kWarning etc. deprecated in favour of their 'q' versions, it can only get better.

(Sadly there are so many things where KF5 still has to get better to catch up with KDE4's overall productivity quality, but that's a whole different can of worms)

R.