[kdepim-users] Trying to clean out akonadi broken entries

David Goodenough david.goodenough at linkchoose.co.uk
Mon May 5 14:03:30 BST 2014

I have a Debian (sid) KDE setup, so I am running 4.12.  Most it works very
well, and kmail (my main email client) is much improved now we have 4.12.

But there are still a few problems, and some of them are I suspect things
left lying around from earlier versions.

So lets start with one that I can cure manually, but it is a really boring
and error prone things to have to do.  I get some items in the folders which
throw up the error (thank you for putting it in the status line rather than
as a dialog) saying:-

Unable to fetch item from backend (collection xxx): Unable to retrieve from
resource: Invalid item retrieved.

This seems to come from two places, an IMAP server which used to have spam
assasin installed, and a POP server.  Once a folder has an item with this
error in it the de-duplication process will not work, and old items can not
be removed by the expiry process.  Actually ignoring these errors in both
processes would be quite safe as all it would do is leave some duplicates
or old messages remaining.

If I go through the folder entry by entry and watch for the message and
then delete the item (Shift-Del not Del, move to trash also fails) then as
long as I remove all of them I can fix up the folder so that the
de-duplication and the expiry now work.  But these folders typically have a
few thousand items in them, so this is a tedious process and it is easy to
miss one.

So it occurred to me that a standalone process could be written that
loops over all the folders and all the items in the folders, and fetches
each in turn, deleting any that have this error.  As they are all duplicates
their loss is no problems.  I realise that this is a destructive process
which could cause data-loss, so it would be a run at my risk process.

Part of my motivation to do this is to make kmail more usable for me, but
part is so that I notice when a new one of these appears that I might be
able to track down what caused it.

Any pointers as to how to get started on such a process would be appreciated.

Regards

David