[kdepim-users] I want to stay with KDEPIM-2, Akonadi, Baloo (was: Re: Searching in KMail?)

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat May 10 14:45:05 BST 2014

On Saturday, 2014-05-10, 12:56:01, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> The architecture of Akonadi is sound. Using a database as a metadata cache
> for PIM data has been done successfully before with Zimbra, Zarafa and
> other groupware servers.

Not just groupware servers, many clients use databases as a local relation
management facility, e.g. Thunderbird.

> I believe in the architecture behind KDEPIM. I see there are lots of things
> to improve upon. I am not yet satisfied with AkonadiĀ“s parallelism as I can
> still make it block out the GUI of KMail while it is stated design goal of
> Akonadi that it separates GUI from background work.

Actually it is separated, the behavior you've observed is not blocking the UI,
it is queuing of requests.
It is more similar to a browser having to wait longer for content because
other tabs or other programs are also downloading data than to a browser where
a long plugin startup has blocked the browser UI, e.g. not allowing to switch
to another tab, etc.

> Okay, done writing something positive about KDEPIM, Akonadi and Baloo. Took
> me some time, but I thought it was needed.

Thanks a lot :)

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring